Wednesday 1 April 2015

List Of Thanksgiving Songs

List of Thanksgiving Songs


Although not as widespread as Christmas carols, numerous songs have been written about the Native Americans, pilgrims, harvested food and the thankful theme of the Thanksgiving holiday. Thanksgiving songs come in different forms including simple secular children's rhymes, spiritual praise hymns, treasured classics and funny tunes that have become modern classics. Does this Spark an idea?


Children's


Lead children in these basic Thanksgiving songs, which are sung to the tune of common nursery rhymes and songs most children already know. Teach preschool and kindergarten children these basic songs in the classroom, at daycare or at home.


Little Pilgrim (Author Unknown)


Sung to the tune of \"Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star\"


\"Little Pilgrim dressed in gray


on that first Thanksgiving Day.


Little Indian dressed in brown,


Came to visit Plymouth Town,


They both came to eat and pray


on that first Thanksgiving Day.\"


The First Thanksgiving (Author Unknown)


Sung to the tune of \"Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star\"


\"Pick the corn and pick the beans,


Pick the squash and other greens


It is harvest time you see


Come and share a feast with me.


Bring your family out to play,


We'll call this Thanksgiving Day.\"


Turkey Dinner (Author Unknown)


Sung to the tune of \"Frère Jacques\"/\"Are you sleeping\"


\"Turkey Dinner, Turkey Dinner


Gather Round, Gather Round


Who will get the drumstick?


Yummy Yummy drumstick


All sit down, all sit down.


Cornbread, muffins,


Chestnuts, stuffing,


Pudding pie ten feet high.


We were all much thinner, before we sat for dinner!


Me, oh, my me, oh, my.\"


Religious


Many religious songs of praise and thanksgiving can be adapted to Thanksgiving services; these three, in particular, sing of a thankful spirit.


Count Your Blessings


Words by Johnson Oatman, Jr., Music by Edwin O. Excell


\"When upon life's billows you are tempest tossed,


When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,


Count your many blessings, name them one by one,


And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.


Refrain


Count your blessings, name them one by one,


Count your blessings, see what God hath done!


Count your blessings, name them one by one,


And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.


Are you ever burdened with a load of care?


Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?


Count your many blessings, every doubt will fly,


And you will keep singing as the days go by.


Refrain


When you look at others with their lands and gold,


Think that Christ has promised you His wealth untold


GO


Count your many blessings. Wealth can never buy


Your reward in heaven, nor your home on high.


Refrain


So, amid the conflict whether great or small,


Do not be disheartened, God is over all


GO


Count your many blessings, angels will attend,


Help and comfort give you to your journey's


end.\"


Give Thanks by Henry Smith


Give thanks with a grateful heart


Give thanks unto the Holy One


Give thanks because He's given Jesus Christ, His Son (repeat)


And now let the weak say, 'I am strong'


Let the poor say, 'I am rich'


Because of what the Lord has done for us\"


He Has Made Me Glad


Written by Leona Von Brethorst


\"I will enter his gates with


thanksgiving in my heart


I will enter his courts with praise


I will say this is the day that the


Lord has made


I will rejoice for he has made me glad


He has made me glad


He has made me glad


I will rejoice for he has


made me glad (2x)\"


Classic


Sing along to these two songs, which have become classics through radio play every November. Lydia Maria Child's \"Over the River and Through the Woods\" dates back to a poem Child wrote about visiting her grandfather's house in \"Flowers for Children: Volume 2\" in 1844. Adam Sandler's \"The Thanksgiving Song\" is a silly rhyming piece the actor released on his 1993 comedy album \"They're All Gonna Laugh at You!\"


Over the River and Through the Woods by Lydia Maria Child


\"Over the river, and through the woods,


To Grandfather's house we go


GO


The horse knows the way to carry the sleigh


through the white and drifted snow.


Over the river, and through the woods-


Oh, how the wind does blow!


It stings the toes and bites the nose


As over the ground we go.


Over the river, and through the woods,


To have a first-rate play.


Hear the bells ring, \"Ting-a-ling-ding,\"


Hurrah for Christmas Day!


Over the river, and through the wood


Trot fast, my dapple-gray!


Spring over the ground like a hunting-hound,


For this is Christmas Day.


Over the river, and through the woods-


And straight through the barnyard gate,


We seem to go extremely slow,


It is so hard to wait!


Over the river, and through the woods-


Now Grandmother's cap I spy!


Hurrah for the fun! Is the pudding done?


Hurrah for the pumpkin pie!\"


The Thanksgiving Song by Adam Sandler


\"Love to eat turkey


Love to eat turkey


Love to eat turkey


'Cause it's good


Love to east turkey


Like a good boy should


'Cause it's turkey to eat


So good


Turkey for me


Turkey for you


Let's eat the turkey


in my big brown shoe


Love to eat the turkey


At the table


I once saw a movie


With Betty Grable


Eat that turkey


All night long


Fifty million Elvis fans


Can't be wrong


Turkey turkey doo and


Turkey turkeydap


I eat that turkey Then I take a nap


Thanksgiving is a special night


Jimmy Walker used to say Dynomite


That's right


Turkey with gravy and cranberry


Can't believe the Mets traded Darryl Strawberry


Turkey for you and


Turkey for me


Can't believe Tyson


Gave that girl V.D.


White meat, dark meat


You just can't lose


I fell off my moped


And I got a bruise


Turkey in the oven


And the buns in the toaster


I'll never take down


My Cheryl Tiegs poster


Wrap the turkey up


In aluminum foil


My brother like to masturbate


With baby oil


Turkey and sweet potato pie


Sammy Davis Jr.


Only had one eye


Turkey for the girls and


Turkey for the boys


My favorite kind of pant


Are corduroy


Gobble gobble goo and


Gobble gobble gickel


I wish turkey


Only cost a nickel


Oh I love turkey on Thanksgiving\"

Tags: Count your, Count your many, Love turkey, many blessings, Over river